Lead Mechanical Engineer
Do you thrive in an environment where the challenges are constantly evolving? Do you want to apply new thinking to old problems? Invention instead of iteration? Whipsaw is a dynamic and exciting place to apply your love of learning and exploring solutions. The programs span a wide range of industries, from major brands to startups, allowing you to constantly stretch your abilities to the limit.
You will find a home at Whipsaw if: You have solid foundational knowledge of every aspect of design and manufacturing and are hungry to apply your intuitive talents. You know what you don’t know, and leverage the experience of others when required. You happily tackle every engineering problem you face with confidence.
As a Mechanical Engineer at Whipsaw, you will be responsible for the creation, development, testing, and realization of inventive, cutting-edge, mechanical engineering solutions. You will be involved in all areas of product development from concept sketches to mass production. You will lead a small team of engineers at times and solely own programs at other times. Being comfortable working on multiple parallel projects, to demanding timelines, is a must. You will be expected to share knowledge and expertise, motivate the team to excel, and keep programs on schedule and within budget.
What you’ll do
- Completed a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Mechanical Engineering
- Have 15+ years of experience in consumer, commercial, medical, or robotics development
- Have a proven track record of team leadership, project management, and strong history in product creation and design for mass manufacture
- Demonstrate exceptional talent for thinking outside the box, and presenting ingenious and viable solutions
- Lead and collaborate with team members across multiple disciplines both internal and external
- Generate mechanical architectures, parts and assemblies that elegantly achieve product requirements with an emphasis on manufacturability and product cost
- Efficiently communicate ideas verbally and visually with team members, clients and vendors, and navigate relationships with clients and stakeholders, and their expectations
- Coordinate and manage, design, fabricate and test prototypes at all stages of development, including leading sometimes complex prototype builds involving multiple vendors and teams
What you’ll bring
- Extensive SolidWorks solid and surface modeling including master model and part breakup, BOM creation and maintenance
- Extensive experience in injection molding, casting, sheet metal, machining, additive manufacturing, weldments, and hands-on experience fabricating, assembling and troubleshooting prototypes
- Creation of 2D Documentation (critical to function at a minimum, GD&T preferred)
- Engineering fundamentals: material selection, tolerance analysis, process selection, DFM & DFA
- Familiarity with simulation tools such as FEA and CFD
- Must have current documentation to be able to work in the United States.