Senior Mechanical Engineer
Do you thrive in a fast-paced environment where the challenges are constantly evolving? Do you want to apply new thinking to old problems? Invention instead of iteration? Do you want to lead a group that is fearless yet approachable? Whipsaw is a dynamic and exciting place to apply your love of learning and exploring solutions. We design disruptive products for the world’s leading brands in a range of sectors, including medical, scientific, wearables, consumer electronics, commercial/industrial, and robotics. We enable you to constantly stretch your creative abilities to the limit.
You will find a home at Whipsaw if you have a solid foundational knowledge of all aspects of design and manufacturing but leverage the experience of others when required. You happily tackle every engineering problem you face with confidence. You desire being a critical member of a close-knit, synergistic team where you will have your hands in a wide variety of forward-thinking projects. If you have a true love of engineering and have been looking for the chance to collaborate with some of the world’s top companies like Google, Uber, Samsung, Nike, and TP-Link, as well as exciting challengers like Tonal and Ceribell, Whipsaw is for you.
About the Role
As a Senior Mechanical Engineer, you will be responsible for creating, developing, testing, and realizing inventive, cutting-edge, mechanical engineering solutions. You will be involved in all areas of product development, from concept sketches to mass production. You will lead a small team of engineers at times and solely own projects at others. Being comfortable working on multiple projects at a time and changing hats quickly is a must.
You will be expected to share knowledge and expertise, motivate the team to excel and keep programs on schedule and within budget. This role calls upon a strong mechanical engineer who can also blend business development with client account management. Above all, you are an idea person who applies out-of-the-box thinking to each project. A maker and tinkerer from way back, you would not want anyone else to prototype and test your own creations.
You must have current documentation to be able to work in the United States.
Once covid protocols permit, this job will be based in either our San Jose Studio or San Francisco studio. We are planning to offer some flexibility around the number of days per week spent on-site but the position being offered does not have a remote-only option.
Who you are and some of what you’ll do
- Completed a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Mechanical Engineering
- Have 7+ years of experience in consumer, commercial, medical, or robotics development
- Have a proven track record of team leadership and strong history in product creation
- Lead and collaborate with team members across multiple disciplines both internally and externally
- Generate mechanical architectures, parts, and assemblies that elegantly achieve product requirements with an emphasis on manufacturability and product cost
- Efficient communicate ideas verbally and visually with team members, clients, and vendors
- Coordinate, design, fabricate and test prototypes at all stages of development
What you know
- Extensive SolidWorks solid and surface modeling including master model and part breakup, BOM creation and maintenance as well as PDM Vault maintenance
- Extensive experience in injection molding, casting, sheet metal, machining, additive manufacturing
- Creation of 2D Documentation (critical to function at a minimum, GD&T preferred)
- Engineering fundamentals: material selection, tolerance analysis, process selection, DFM & DFA
- Familiarity with simulation tools such as FEA and CFD
Whipsaw is a product innovation company with 20 years of experience turning good ideas into great products across all industries. Our multi-disciplinary team includes industrial designers, UX designers and engineers with a passion for creating smart, unique and intuitive solutions that profoundly connect with end users. We have locations in San Jose and San Francisco, conveniently bookending the Silicon Valley.